Sunday, August 20, 2006

Espresso


I have an income! I am working at a small cafe, called Vispo Espresso Bar, right in teh heart of the city. Its sor of a high end cafe that caters to wealthy business professionals who work in the area, but our main sales are our 'coffees' to all the regulars. Now I must exlain to you that 'coffee' in most places around the world is done very differently than in America. Our pot of hours old brewed coffee (that waitresses carry around offering refils with) is made fun of in these places where coffee is: espresso shots pulled fresh for each cup.

Some of the blessings about my job: The day I went out to look for a job, I walked around for about 45 minutes and handed out TWO resumes and then started work the next morning. Also, hospitality wages are very high here in Australia, so I get payed quite a bit of cash every week. And the people I work with are great, very friendly and helpful. Oh and one other thing, my hours are excellent. I work Monday-Friday from 8am to about 3pm and the place is closed on the weekends so I have nights and weekends off.
The downsides of hospitality work: I hate waiting tables! But I suppose I can manage for only three months. And as much as I like accents, I have to admit that there are times when I have the hardest time understanding what people are trying to order. But alas, all is going very well.

Ummmm....coffee is good!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More good news!...I have a place and no longer have to live out of my backpack! Halleluia! It was fun being in a youth hostel meeting so many people in similar situations as me, but its so good to have a place to go 'home' to after a full day at work. It is just north of the CBD (Sydney's central business districs, where I work), across the bridge, in an area called North Sydney. It is a three bedroom apartment and is fully furnished. Katie and I share a room and we are living with two other guys from California who we met at IEP (the International Exchange Program). And I must put a strong emphasis on the fact that we have an INCREDIBLE view of the harbor, opera house, and the bridge from our balcony!