Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Cheers Mate!

After a lovely time relaxing in Fiji, Katie and I arrived in Sydney anxious and excited to experience life with Aussies. We checked into the Sydney Central youth hostel, where we'd be staying for a few nights. And I have to mention, I have never stayed in hostel quite like this. It has over 500 rooms and is practically like a hotel, except for the fact that you share a room with five other complete strangers and use a communal bathroom down the hall. The hostels have been a great place to meet other young travelers and people who are also doing short term work while they're here, like ourselves.

On our first few days in Sydney we took some time to do a little sightseeing. We visited Darling Harbor, The Rocks, the Sydney Harbor Bridge, the all famous Opera House, the Botanic Gardens, and Bondi and Manly beaches. At Darling Harbor Katie and I had fish and chips overlooking the many boats that filled the harbor. At the Rocks, we walked through the many shops and booths during the lively weekend market. The Sydney Harbor Bridge and Opera House were, as expected, spectacular, especially by ferry (night or day). The walk along the Botanic Gardens was beautiful and a nice change of scenery from the busy Sydney streets. Bondi beach is very nice this time of year, winter, because you're not having to walk over hundreds of people laying on the beach. There were still plenty of surfers in the water though. And oh my goodness, I can't remember if I have ever seen waves so big. Its still hard to believe that I'm actually here after an unexpected and random idea that Katie brought up just a few months ago and all the planning that followed. And then to think, this is just the beginning, I have four months to enjoy and live this big adventure.

Now Katie and I are spending our time in Sydney getting to know the area while looking for work and a place to live. Basically trying to set ourselves up to feel 'at home' for the next few months. Its time to get out of the vacation mindset and into more settled and work thinking. Transitions and new places have a way of causing stress at times, but Katie and I are so excited to be here and have full faith that God will direct us, care for us, and place us where He knows best.

PS For all of those who are wondering and have been asking. Here is what I look like with curly hair.